This week we’ll be sharing some great recipes that kids will love to help make and both kids and adults will love to eat. We’re going to start off the week with something sweet- haystacks. Haystacks are a delicious treat made from chow mein noodles, mini marshmallows, butterscotch chips, and peanut butter. They are sweet, crunchy, and simple to make. Kids can help with the measuring, mixing, and of course with the eating!
We used a haystacks recipe from Nestle Toll House. We melted our butterscotch chips in the microwave and have posted this version below for you to use.
- 1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.) butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 can (8.5 oz.) or 2 cans (5 oz. each) chow mein noodles
- 3 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1. Line cookie sheets or trays with wax paper or with silicone baking mats.
2. Put the butterscotch chips in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave chips for 1 minute at medium-high power (70%).
3. Stir, the butterscotch chips may still retain some of their shape. Continue microwaving in 10-15 second intervals at medium-high power (70%) until melted.
4. Add peanut butter to the melted butterscotch chips and stir until well blended.
5. Fold in marshmallows and chow mein noodles. Mix until completely and evenly covered.
6. Drop onto prepared trays/cookie sheets. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Haystacks are a perfect Thanksgiving dessert kids can make.